Tuesday, January 22, 2008

My sweet sweet children.

Today's post is brought to you by the letter D, which is the grade many of my third year students will receive on their reports. And the letter H, for hilarious, which is what these reports are. Grading them has been a chore, as in many cases I have had to completely rewrite every sentence in the report. Not to fear, however. There were definitely a few students who clearly put a lot of time and effort in, and it shows. Those 3 or 4 students will get A's. The rest are not so fortunate, but I do not love them less. In fact, I love them more. How could I not love them when they give me this:

"My Dream" by Jenny

Hello, everybody! (everybody is written phonetically in katakana above the english word)
My Dream it say you. It was very difficult..."the young Boy don't fool around!" It what to sey strong or easy? What do you think? I want strong think. My Dream it was some sixty years ago. I watching TV sey quietly nevr soon in animation world. "Yes---, juse like is anime dream!" Then I am say you become think. This dream will very wonderful. The world only my dream. Thank you very marche.

"Mudgaurds Ar Needed" by Jaime

Hello everyone. I would like to talk about mud gaurds in a bike. The are very important. Having no mud gaurds can be a problem. For example, my friend Kei has no mud gaurds on his bike. So when it was a rainy day, a lot of mud hit his face. I think he is poor. But interesting. Like this, it is very troublesome if there are no mudgaurds, It is awkward. Next is, It is troube to other people. When I went to go back home, mud hit people behind him. So mud gaurds are needed for other people. He should put them on his bike for the people around him. But only he has no mud gaurds, Mud gaurds are for oneself and for others. So I treasure using my bike. Everyone, cherish your bike, cherish all things, too. Thanks for your attention.

I have no idea how to correct the first one, cause I have no clue what she is trying to say. And the second one is just hilarious. "I think he is poor. But interesting." My students and their broken engrish make my job so awesome.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Mud guards are for oneself and for others."

That is the deepest thought I've heard in a long, long time. Maybe one day we'll run into these students in an "Americatown" restaurant:

Waiter: Howdy gangstas! I'm average American Joe Salaryman waiter.
Bart: These prices suck! 10,000 yen for coleslaw?
Lisa: Don't you serve anything that's even remotely Japanese?
Waiter: Don't ask me; I don't know anything! I'm product of American education system. I also build poor-quality cars and inferior-style electronics.
Homer: [cackles] Oh, they got our number!

Unknown said...

Jaime is right. I don't have mud guards on my bike, and it is awkward.